SF HQ West
HISTORY OF ARMY CANTONMENT - PANAGODA
 
 
Ceylon Army was raised by the Ministry of Defence and External Affairs of Independent Ceylon in 1949 after a period of colonial domination. In 1952 foundation stone was late by the Honorable Prime Minister of Ceylon Mr Dudley Senanayaka to establish the Panagoda Cantonment.
 
Although the cantonment started functioning on 10th october 1952, after years of construction by the works department, construction of the Cantonment was completed in 1959.
 
With the transformation of the Sri Lanka Army over the period of time HQ was given different identities and finally Security Force Headquarters (West) was established on 15 November 2012.
 
Apart from the Security Force Headquarters (West) Cantonment also houses office of the Chief Signal Officer, 04 x Directorates, 02 x Brigades, 08 x Regimental Headquarters, 09 x Logistics Battalions, Army Sports Pool Complex and 02 x complexes of other Ranks married quarters.